Thursday, July 30, 2009

Owl excitement

Just a few minutes ago Caleb and I had a little excitement. As we were taking the trash cans down to the edge of the road for pick up in the morning we heard an Eastern Screech Owl. They are pretty common in our area but Caleb has not had the chance to hear one before. Guess what we are going to do tomorrow at dusk?

Caleb an I also plan to build a few owl boxes this fall and plan to get them in place before winter. We have been talking about this for a few weeks and researching what materials we need as well as choosing the correct plan. Tonight provided a little motivation to get the boxes built. Caleb was ready to build them tonight.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this sounds exciting! Caleb will be the youngest bird expert I know. I have never heard of owl boxes - I thought they just lived in trees and barns. I'll be really interested in following your progress with this great project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the places we have getting information about owls is:

    http://www.hungryowl.org/boxes.html#plans

    Check it out.

    ReplyDelete