Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Egg laying machine!

Yesterday I checked the Bluebird box in the front yard and egg number five was in the nest. Today I looked and I believe the egg laying machine is finished. When I approached the box this afternoon the female exited the box which tells me she has begun to incubate them. So in 12 to 14 days we should have a few new Bluebirds. As I monitored the box previously I determined that she laid her eggs in the morning and was not around in the afternoons.


Egg number 5 April13th, 2010

2 comments:

  1. I like the picture of the five eggs in the Bluebird nest. I was wondering how you were able to get that close to the eggs if possibly the female was anywhere near the nest. My mom and I watch birds from our wishing-well feeder outside the kitchen. Birds are very interestring and tranquil to watch

    ReplyDelete
  2. The boxes I installed have a door that opens for cleaning and viewing. Once I noticed the Bluebirds had started building a nest I would check it daily. The five eggs should hatch this weekend. I plan to photograph the baby birds as well. Birds do not have a good sense of smell so they do not mind me stopping in once a day.

    ReplyDelete